Our almond encrusted sponge cake is moist with a delicate texture that has a nice spring to it when pressed with your fork. It tastes delicious however it does not overwhelm your taste buds with its sweetness nevertheless, you will want more than one piece. It is lovely with your coffee, tea, or simply as it is so just enjoy!
- 4 cups flour, shifted
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 11/2 cups granulated sugar
- rind of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- salt, a pinch
- 11/4 cups canola oil
- 2 cups milk
- wax paper
- Preheat oven to 350◦F
- In an appropriate mixing bowl, add shifted flour and baking powder.
- Mix the two dry ingredients in the bowl and make a well in the center for the liquids.
- Add eggs, sugar, lemon rind, lemon juice, and salt in another bowl and beat well until frothy.
- Add the milk and oil to the mixture and continue beating for a bit.
- Into the first bowl, slowly pour the liquid contents from the second and beat all well to avoid leaving lumps.
- Grease an appropriate pan or form with margarine and lightly powder greased surfaces with some flour ensuring an even coating all around.
- Line bottom of pan with some waxed paper to prevent burning.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes or until the toothpick or probe comes out clean.
- 1 egg white
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbs rum
- crushed almonds
- In a appropriate bowl, combine the egg white, sugar, and rum and beat the mixture until blended.
- Spoon or brush the frosting onto already cooled cake.
- Add or sprinkle on the crushed almonds.